Multiple hackrf boards support (patch)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Jun 2 07:44:07 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Dimitri merged the patch set to gr-osmosdr master yesterday.

Beware of a little catch, there are some examples floating on the net with
"hackrf=1" as the device argument. Device index numbers are 0-based (like
with rtlsdr and other drivers), so you'll have to use hackrf=0 if you
only have a single device attached, hackrf=1 would be the second device.
Before this patch the hackrf gr-osmosdr driver did not care about the
parameter at all.

Device selection by serial number tail ("hackrf=beeff00d") requires
updated hackrf firmware. The firmware changes have been in the hackrf git
master, but there's no official firmware binary published yet.

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a little pull request for gr-osmosdr, to enable multiple devices
> support for hackrf. This allows doing things like full duplex using two
> boards in a single graph.
>
> You can specify either hackrf=0 and hackrf=1 to select by a device index, or
> the serial number (or an unique suffix of a serial number), hackrf=f00d and
> hackrf=1234abba. hackrf_info lists multiple devices and their serial numbers.
> Apps like gqrx seem to magically work, too, and allow device selection.
>
> The hackrf project just merged the pull request for libhackrf & tools 3 days
> ago, and it's already available in macports at least.
>
> The gr-osmosdr patches here do work against old libhackrf as before, it
> detects the presence of the new hackrf_device_list API and enables multiple
> device support only if it is available.
>
> What is the preferred patch format, I have the changes available as a feature
> branch in github?
>
> https://github.com/hessu/gr-osmosdr/tree/feature/hackrf_multidev

   - Hessu