rtl_fm: degraded demodulation caused by self-introduced DC !?

Hayati Ayguen h_ayguen at web.de
Sat Jul 18 08:54:48 UTC 2015

Hi Murat and all others,

what i have hear is definitely NOT the DC spike coming from the analog
front-end!

Whilst my experiments, trying to get rtl_fm run on Raspi 2, i added an
option to rtl_fm to be verbose ("-v 1"). See
https://github.com/hayguen/librtlsdr

When calling rtl_fm with "-s 24000 -f 433.25M -M raw" i get following
outputs:
"capture_rate = 42 * 24000 = 1008000"
"capture_freq = freq + capture_rate / 4 = 433502000"

>From capture_rate you see, that the RTL's ADC works at a samplerate of
1.008 MHz. And the RTL is parametrized to 433.502 MHz.
So, the RTL's DC is at 433.502 MHz - far away from the desired 433.25 MHz.
On digital signal preprocessing the rtl_fm mixes the desired frequency
up to baseband 0 Hz and the does low pass filtering and decimation to
the samplerate of 24 kHz.
This result is what i recorded in my previous mail and had a look with
SDR#, the screenshot.

At the moment, I had no look into the source of low pass filter. I
suppose that the DC is introduced here.

kind regards,
Hayati