new TV Tuner Chip, the Si2177

Leif Asbrink leif at sm5bsz.com
Sat Sep 21 00:43:14 UTC 2013

The bandwidth of the I/Q pair is too large to be transmitted
over USB for the reception of TV signals. After demodulation
the bandwidth is lower so it would (marginally) fit an USB
interface if we talk about traditional analogue TV. For digital
TV the bandwidth reduction by the decoder is much larger.

I would not be surprised if the Si Labs chips have an option to
send unprocessed I/Q data to the USB. Somebody should approach them
and ask:-)

73

Leif / SM5BSZ