Problems on CentOS 6.4 (64 bit)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Oct 12 07:34:17 UTC 2013

Dan wrote:
>>> Any other hints?
>> Only to use the latest kernel code.
>
> I cannot change the kernel on the system I intend to use the dongle,
> as it provides other services which cannot be interrupted..

I can understand that you can not upgrade kernel on the final system,
but it would be very helpful if you could test on a separate system,
with similar hardware, with a new kernel, to see if the problem persists.

>> Did you make sure that the rtl-sdr programs are in fact also using
>> the new libraries, as opposed to what is installed by CentOS which
>> is what will be used by default, when running them?
>
> Before this I've fully uninstalled the previous version and set the
> environment variables:
> LIBUSB_LIBS and LIBUSB_CFLAGS
> before running ./configure for rtl-sdr

That sounds good. It is important that you have uninstalled the
version provided by the CentOS package.

Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > LIBUSB_LIBS and LIBUSB_CFLAGS
> > before running ./configure for rtl-sdr
>
> That's a bit indirect. The best way is to run ldd ./myapp

ldd is a good way to see what libraries will actually be loaded by a
given program. If indeed the CentOS package has been uninstalled then
ldd should confirm that the correct library file is being loaded.

> I continue to maintain that all this advice about installing "latest"
> without knowing what's up is not likely to work.

It's not about what will likely make things work, it's about doing
debugging with the current state of the code, so that I know that I
haven't already fixed the problem in libusb.git and so that I know
exactly what code is being used when the error occurs.

> The stock libusb1 rpm from Koji works just fine, I would not even
> bother rebuilding it, just pull off an F14 repo.

Since there are commits in libusb.git which are not included in those
binaries it is significantly more helpful to use the git code for
testing.

> Find what the problem is by running strace ./rtl-sdr and matching
> ioctls to the code.

Please don't do that, it is not helpful. Please focus on creating a
debug log as described on http://libusb.org/wiki/debug since that's
very useful for those of us who know the libusb code.

Thanks

//Peter