rtl-sdr and gr-osmosdr

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Jan 13 07:31:08 UTC 2013

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
> Sir:

Thanks for the thorough response to a newbie question. I am sure that
the original poster and several others by way of the list archive
will appreciate it.

> I really detest mailing lists whose default action on a reply is to
> write directly to the person to whom you are responding rather than
> to the list.
..
> it may be technically correct, but it is definitely the wrong thing
> to do.

It's important to keep in mind that mailing lists are very much a
distinct use case for email. Using mailing lists is not like sending
direct person-to-person or person-to-group emails.

The reason that so many struggle to appreciate not abusing Reply-To
is perhaps that they consider mailing lists to be no different from
direct person-to-group emails. It is critical to realize that these
two ways of emailing are quite different, even though they accomplish
the same thing on the very highest level. (Send one message to many
recipients.)

This means that it is critical to be aware of the technology that
underpins this communication, in order to use it really successfully.

Needing to understand technology in order to use it is foreign for
most people. Needing to understand email is foreign for even more
people. It's not particularly fun to understand email, and I don't
blame anyone who doesn't want to.

Yet, successfully using mailing lists absolutely requires it.

And by extension, it becomes critical for effortless use of mailing
lists to have an email software which can model mailing lists in it's
user interface. Because - again - interacting with a mailing list is
different from interacting directly with recipients.

I have one reply keybinding for replying to the original author.
I have another group reply keybinding for replying to the author and
all recipients.
I have a third list reply keybinding for replying only to the list(s)
that were recipients in the email that I reply to, along with any
addresses in Mail-Followup-To headers.

This allows me to always be explicit about what I want, when I reply
to an email.

This requires me to know what I want. That is not a burden for me.

It would of course be possible to implement a heuristic for this
decision, but it would by definition make some false decisions, and
I don't really want to use a tool which is known to not do what I
want.

I'll trade the convenience of having only a single reply function
which randomly does the wrong thing for having three functions and
depending on myself to do the right thing as often as you like.

You mention that you know that not abusing Reply-To is technically
correct, perhaps per the "List Reply-To considered harmful" article.
If you haven't already read it then I would like to recommend also
reading "Reply-To Munging Still Considered Harmful. Really." [1]

Regards

//Peter

[1] http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html