Still problem with "cb transfer status 1, cancelling" -> segmentation fault, libusb

Peter A. Bigot pab at pabigot.com
Tue Feb 12 21:33:31 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 01:34 PM, Markus Gonser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to this mailing list, but that does not mean that I have been
> following SDR activities here at osmocom and especially gnuradio
> actively. I am not a linux professional, but "intermediate beginner".
> I currently have a problem running my Hama Nano DVB-T Dongle which I
> cannot solve and therefore need to turn to you with the following problem:
>
> I hava an Intel Pentium 977 machine running Ubuntu 12.04LTS in the
> 64bit version. I compiled and installed gnuradio using the script from
> Marcus Leech (http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio)
>
> I have an Hama Nano DVB-T Dongle which contains an RTL2832U Chip
> combined with the E4000 frontend.
>
> When I try to access the Dongle via rtlsdr (either via sample programs
> in GRC or simply via rtl_test -s) I get
>
> cb transfer status: 1, canceling...
>
> Library error 0, exiting...
> Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben) (engl.:
> "segmentation fault")
>
> I found two threads regarding this problem in this mailinglist:
> 1) http://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/osmocom-sdr/2013-January/000443.html
> 2) http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/osmocom-sdr/2012-August/000201.html
>
> With respect to the former (1) I checked my version of
> libusb-1.0-0-dev which is 2:1.0.9~rc3-2ubuntu1
> With respect to the latter (2) (and older post) I checked in my source
> of the rtlsdr library if the proposed change is included and it is.
>
> So I do not have any clue how and where to proceed further. I'd be
> happy to give you any more information you need and try out patches.
> If you have any ideas or could point me to the right direction, I'd be
> very happy about
>
> Thanks upfront for your consideration and best regards,
>
> Markus
>
> P.S.: The dongle worked on this machine before, but I do not remember
> if I had the 32bit Ubuntu version running and which versions of
> gnuradio, etc. were installed.
My conclusion from thread (1), based on the response from Peter Stuge,
was that rtl-sdr was mis-using libusb by closing the device without
waiting for it to finish, and it's not a fault in libusb. Looks like
git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-sdr is down, and the cgit browser is out of
date, so I can't tell what's been done since.  But the fix needs to be
made in rtl-sdr, whether it's reverting the patch as I suggested or
correcting it to wait before shutting things down.

Peter