How to get IQ samples from multiple rtl-sdr dongles in a synchronized manner?

Sdr Guru sdrguru1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 11:01:38 UTC 2013

Hi

Are you using a common clock?
http://kaira.sgo.fi/2013/09/16-dual-channel-coherent-digital.html

I've modified some of the RTL dongles, played with GNURadio and Octave.
The results are promising, sample level correlation (2.4M/10, FM radio
signal).

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Jiao Xianjun <putaoshu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> For the multiple dongles synchronization in signal level instead of
> bits/packets level, I setup a working repo in github, and write a initial
> demo framework. See below:
>
> https://github.com/JiaoXianjun/multi-rtl-sdr-udp-relay.git
>
> You may find information and instruction of demo quickly by reading the
> README.
>
> My initial purpose is performing in-fly calibration for multiple dongles
> according to some pre-known signal (GSM, ADS-B?) to let them work together
> coherently.
>
> An ideal scheme may be that we should generate a very narrow band and very
> week signal in (or just located at the edge of) target working band of
> dongles, and perform the software in-fly calibration in background (or
> driver level). This would be user friendly.

Cheap (8USD+PP), simple, computer-controlled and legal FM band "marker"
http://blog.palosaari.fi/2013/08/naked-hardware-12-usb-audio-transmitter.html

 I know it is far from final state currently, and many things are not clear
> yet (See TODO). But please join me if you also think this is a good idea.
> Just check out the demo and run it to have a look.

Testing it and I'll let you know.