Big rtl_fm (and more) improvements, testing requested

Deron deron at pagestream.org
Thu Dec 12 17:01:56 UTC 2013

Thanks for this timely update! I just got this R820T based device and
just tried to receive local radio stations to no avail.

I live about 70 miles from town, and get only a few stations here with a
cheap little transistor radio. With the device and rtl_fm, I am lucky to
make out voices in the static.

So, I sent one down to a server I manage that is _under_ a tower. Of
course, I can receive the two stations that broadcast from the tower.
They come in loud and clear! But nothing else. My goal was to be able to
listen to radio stations in town by remote using the server in town, so
I'm limited to shell based applications like rtl_fm. My next step was
going to be GNURadio, if I can make it work headless, but I found this
update last night! Very good timing for me!

Now for the problem(s). What I did on the server was:

git clone https://github.com/keenerd/rtl-sdr rtl-sdr-beta
cd rtl-sdr-beta/
autoreconf -i
./configure
make

and I get this (I cut out the largely irrelevant parts, but can supply
full console output if needed):

rtl_sdr.o: In function `main':
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:128: undefined reference to
`verbose_device_search'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:202: undefined reference to
`verbose_set_sample_rate'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:205: undefined reference to
`verbose_set_frequency'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:209: undefined reference to
`verbose_auto_gain'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:216: undefined reference to
`verbose_ppm_set'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:212: undefined reference to
`nearest_gain'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:213: undefined reference to
`verbose_gain_set'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:232: undefined reference to
`verbose_reset_buffer'
/home/deron/rtl-sdr-beta/src/rtl_sdr.c:178: undefined reference to
`verbose_device_search'

I see where you have defined verbose_* in convenience.c, but
configuration must not be correctly building/linking it in. I am very
much out of my water with autoconf etal. I suspect you are using some
other method to compile this, so might not be in any better footing than I.

Thanks for you assistance,

Deron