How RTL-SDR samples signals

David Basden davidb-sdr at rcpt.to
Tue Aug 20 03:17:34 UTC 2013

The RTL2382U has an ADC onboard; The dongles don't use a seperate
ADC. The main other component is the tuner.

The RTL2382U uses a sigma-delta ADC, so it samples at a much higher
rate than it needs, but only at 1 bit. It then trades the high
sample rate for higher dynamic range. (Think reverse PWM, although
that is a huge oversimplification).

http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1870

The crystal is to drive the clock of the RTL2832U. It's almost certainly
running a single 1 bit sample per clock.

If you were to get the samples at the 28.8Msps rate, they would be 1 bit
samples, which you would still have to filter and downsample for most
uses.  I'm not aware of any way to get the samples out at that rate.

David