Fwd: Need a starting point to learn RTL-SDR

Andrew Mount capeorion at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 14:24:41 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Andrew Mount*
Date: Friday, August 9, 2013
Subject: Need a starting point to learn RTL-SDR
To: Andrew Back <andrew at carrierdetect.com>, "
osmocom-sdr-request at lists.osmocom.org" <
osmocom-sdr-request at lists.osmocom.org>

Andrew,

Thank you.

I have two radio astronomy projects in mind. The first is a HF system that
will enable  me to pick or zoom into a narrow band of frequencies  , say
20-22 mHZ from a larger 18 - 26 mHZ  range ( currently scanned by a
spectrograph) to study N type storm events from Jupiter.   This will
require coding on my part as I have to interface with pre-existing software
in order to load data accepted by the  NASA RADIO JOVE archive.

The other application ( much easier) is to build an RTL based  220 mHZ
range meteor scatter detection system.  The meteor detection system is the
current project.  I have the computer, the RTL and am waiting on the
antenna, ( due to arrive  by 30 August).  This has already been worked out
software wise,  it is a plug and chug type of project.   The advantage is
that I can be collecting meteor data by the end of the year and I will
learn about RTL SDR in the process.

 In order to build my own custom SDR system, what is needed is knowledge of
a more how to -and what is- type. I need  to learn the technical language,
what programs to use, how an RTL works, integration with a build ( i have
access to Matlab? )  environment,  how to write drivers, etc.  I need  to
know how it works,  how to speak the language and what are the prerequisite
tools to get the job done.

Any suggestions that would build proficiency in these areas would be
invaluable for me.

Thanks for responding so quickly and best wishes,

Andy