Licensing issues

Scott Cutler scott at scottcutler.net
Tue Sep 25 22:36:11 UTC 2012

Greetings, all!

I've recently been bitten by the rtlsdr bug and have since developed some
software around it.  It's Windows-based and currently decodes (mono) WFM,
NFM, POCSAG, FLEX 1600/6400, and (very limited) AX.25 frames.

I would like to make a semi-limited release but have some concerns about
the licensing of the  rtlsdr library after what SDR# went through (or
seemed to go through--I'm not sure what the whole story was).  I do plan on
open-sourcing the whole thing eventually, but in the short term I'll
probably have a limited read-only license.

Simply put, am I in the clear if I:
- only access rtlsdr.dll through my own reimplementation of rtl-sdr.h and
rtl-sdr_export.h
- do not distribute the binary rtlsdr.dll, but instead link to the Osmocom
binaries

Thanks for the help!

- Scott