Beginner question about rtlsdr

Michel Pelletier pelletier.michel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:12:15 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> One cool thing about GNU Radio is that while you use python to snap
> blocks together the data path is compiled code, so it will beat the
> performance of pure-python implementations. I don't know if numpy,
> scipy, and matplotlib are, but worth keeping in mind.

Thanks a lot, in this case I'm passing pointer data from one C
function to another, the python interpreter loop adds very little
overhead, at least for the data collection step.  For any kind of
visual or interactive setup I'll no doubt be looking at GR.

> Anyway, it's another option - if you need one specific simple signal
> process then GNU Radio may be overkill, and if it's simple enough
> with no bad performance tradeoff then reinventing that wheel can be
> fun and educational.

I love options!  And I do confess to enjoy inventing a wheel or two.
No one in their right mind would write another Forth compiler... oh
wait.

-Michel