Gain modes

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 11:35:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the tests and reporting.

Some comments purely about the patch form and not the functionality
itself (I'll leave that for the rtl-sdr maintainer to decide):

>> // SM5BSZ Sept24 2012:  Use only (the modified) set_lna_gain if the user
>> // asked for linearity or sensitivity.

Don't put comment logs in the code ... if you want to document what
the code does it's fine, but the commit message is there for the
date/name/change recording.

Also, I think /* */ rather than // is the comment style in that project.

>>   switch (gain)
>>     {
>>     case -250:
>>     e4k_reg_set_mask(e4k, E4K_REG_GAIN1, 0xf, 0);
>>     e4k_mixer_gain_set(e4k, 4);
>>     e4k_if_gain_set(e4k, 1, -3);
>>     e4k_if_gain_set(e4k, 2, 0);
>>     e4k_if_gain_set(e4k, 3, 0);
>>     e4k_if_gain_set(e4k, 4, 0);
>>     e4k_if_gain_set(e4k, 5, 9);
>>     e4k_if_gain_set(e4k, 6, 6);
>>     break;

That giant swith is just plain aweful. Either find a formula, or use tables.

Cheers,

    Sylvain