stroboscopic (aka equivalent time sampling) using EZCAP DVB dongle ?

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 9 15:21:13 UTC 2012

Well, this is interesting. Think out of the box. Ask yourself if a 8 bit NFM
is high fidelity. I do high fidelity; 6 channel, 24 bit Wav files, that is
high fidelity. When you have high conversion rates and high bit depth
signals you get high fidelity. Audio NFM signals are only meant to satisfy
walky-talky radio communication (Trunk Radio). The high value targets in
Radio technology today is Data Services. Look in the (Data Stream) Mine for
the Gold, Data is Gold. Data is wideband, multiple channel, and frequency
diverse (not NFM), then there are all those wideband RADAR Signals. With
high fidelity conversion you do not need anti-aliasing. Anti-Aliasing is a
technique to filter, the very word means to take something away. Data
services count on the fact that the Data is difficult to intercept.

The object of any great effort is to rise above all the rest. To get the
most out of the Tuner the ADC must be improved. All you guys have so much to
offer and you have spent so much of your time and money to get the most out
of this $20 Dongle, all because the Manufacturer refuses to open Source the
Chip. Jump ahead and make better use of it. Go to the next level and hack
the circuit, not just the Operating Code.

The most extensive effort should be in acquiring intelligence from the
Either, not listening to high power squawking Police channels. This requires
very high granularity, the RTL2832 is low granularity. If you want to drop
in on intelligence from over the horizon, very good selectivity is required
and the RTL2832 is just not that; highly selective, intentionally by design.