rtl-sdr over multicast & multiple decoders

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Sun Dec 30 22:21:22 UTC 2012

I've been playing around with rtl-sdr as a way to stream trunking radio
and air band traffic.  I've done a bit of research and found people who
are using multiple dongles, one to digest the control channel and one or
more to tune and receive the voice channels as the talk groups come and
go.  They're also using multiple dongles and/or squelch scanning to
stream airband signals

Around here, all of the channels of the trunking system as well as all
of the "interesting" fit inside the bandwidth of a dongle running at
3.6Msps.  So, my question is this:

Would it not be more efficient to have a single tuner dongle outputting
all of its samples over multicast (or into a shared memory segment for
that matter, if you want to stay on the same host) and then having a
bunch of decoder processes listening to the samples and decoding what
they need out of them?