Update: New and improved airplane stuff

Limaunion limaunion at fibertel.com.ar
Wed Dec 12 02:52:45 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 07:41 PM, keenerd wrote:
> Most significant is rtl_adsb, a fast and simple ADS-B decoder.  It is
> not the most sensitive decoder (Prog's and rtl-1090 pick up a few more
> planes) but it works fairly well.  Of course it lacks the interactive
> maps of other software, however the output can be piped into fancier
> programs or across the network with netcat.  To use it, just run
> "rtl_adsb".  It does not need any options and can pick up plenty of
> signals with only the stock antenna.

Hi Keenerd & all, I'm doing some tests with ADS-B (i'm a newbie in this
field so please be gentle) and am being able to receive messages like these:

DF=11 CA=5
ICAO Address=acc3b4
PI=0x94804c
Type Code=13 S.Type/Ant.=1
----------
DF=11 CA=5
ICAO Address=aad3b4
PI=0x024745
Type Code=13 S.Type/Ant.=1
----------
DF=15 CA=6
ICAO Address=a8d3b4
PI=0xa22339
Type Code=4 S.Type/Ant.=0
----------
DF=11 CA=5
ICAO Address=a8d3b4
PI=0x3721a3
Type Code=b S.Type/Ant.=0
----------
DF=11 CA=5
ICAO Address=a8d3b4
PI=0x2d3400
Type Code=b S.Type/Ant.=0
----------
DF=11 CA=5
ICAO Address=a8d3b4
PI=0xbec907
Type Code=b S.Type/Ant.=0

I've been reading a little about the frame format from here
http://www.radartutorial.eu/13.ssr/sr25.en.html (any other better
source?). I don't know yet very well what's the meaning of DF=11, 10 or
15 but almost all of the messages have a value of 11.

A couple of doubts:

1) from the output shown above, it seems that for some reason I'm not
receiving the complete ADS-B 'data' frames, am I right? where's the
altitude, latitude, etc? why that information is not displayed?

2) Is it possible to redirect the output to virtualradarserver? I tried
to redirect it as it's suggested above (rtl_adbs -R | nc....), the
status is 'Connected' and 'Total messages' was around 150 but 'Aircraft
tracked' was 0 and nothing shown in the map. Should it work? do I need
to use -R in rtl_adsb? in virtualradarserver the 'Data source' is set to
'basestations', is that right? should I try other software?

Thanks in advance for any help/tips :)
LU