LTE Cell Scanner

James Peroulas james at peroulas.com
Tue Aug 28 20:10:06 UTC 2012

> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:27:21 +0200
> From: Christian Buchner <christian.buchner at gmail.com>
>
> For some reason, your CellSearch software worked the second time I ran
> it. Here's the result for a scan in Munich. The two frequencies found
> correspond to the operators O2 and Vodafone. Deutsche Telekom is
> either not using the 800 MHz band here, or I happen to be out of the
> reception range for this dongle.
>
> Detected the following cells:
> C: CP type ; P: PHICH duration ; PR: PHICH resource type
> CID      fc   foff RXPWR C nRB P  PR CrystalCorrectionFactor
> 449    796M -13.2k -47.7 N  50 N one 0.99998344473785039099
> 372    806M -13.2k -43.7 N  50 N one 0.99998362964129883235

I see that the received signal power is very low at -44dB, so it kind
of makes sense that these cells would not be detected every time you
run the program. I suspect that if you moved outdoors or used a tuned
LTE antenna, these cells would be detectable more reliably.

> This software project is way cool! I am surprised how precise my crystal is.
>
> Now who's willing to extend the code to combine several dongles to
> scan the full 10 MHz band and to analyze the allocated resources
> signalled on the PDCCH so we can generate statistics on cell load and
> number of UEs served?

Wow, I think that would be a major undertaking for these dongles! I
think that's a task best suited for the USRP and the OpenLTE project
:)

JP