The real problem with this thing

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed Aug 15 01:13:24 UTC 2012

>  From what I understand, the digital TV standard here in Canada is different
> from DVB-T (I am a complete neophyte at all of this) and so that particular
> feature of the device won't be of much use to me, but as for the FM, I'm on
> the Ubuntu/Linux GNU platform, so I'm awaiting on the kindness of strangers to
> perfect the kernel drivers enough to match the Windows kit performance. But
> that's okay, because I'm learning a lot in the process :)

The DVB-T option isn't much use to anyone, because we all bought the device
for SDR purposes :-)  No disrespect, but wanting to use the device just for FM
radio is a bit of a waste - you have the Swiss Army Knife of radio receivers,
but you only want to use the corkscrew?

Just for the record, there are no kernel drivers for the SDR side of things,
it's all done in userspace.  This userspace code, developed by people on this
list, is designed to operate under Linux and it then gets ported to Windows.
So luckily for you, running Linux means you'll always have easy access to the
latest userspace driver code, before it gets to Windows.

Unfortunately so much SDR software is Windows only, especially the packages
aimed at beginners like myself, who don't know enough about RF yet to get any
GNURadio flow graphs working.

Personally the best I have done so far is to run HDSDR under Wine, and use the
Linux BorIP server to pass data (via loopback TCP) between Wine and the RTL
device.  This allows HDSDR to run pretty much the same as it does under Windows.

But of course HDSDR can't quite do FM radio (since it only goes up to 96kHz),
but it does work really well for receiving other NBFM and AM broadcasts
(police, aircraft, etc.)

Cheers,
Adam.