gr-ais with osmosdr

Nick Foster nick at ettus.com
Sun Aug 5 21:13:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Christian Gagneraud <chris at techworks.ie>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I saw a message in the July archive (I wasn't subscribed yet at that date)
> about updating gr-ais with osmosdr support.
> I was working on the same thing recently, so i decided to publish my fixes
> on top of Antoine's one.
> The result can be found here:
> https://github.com/chgans/gr-**ais <https://github.com/chgans/gr-ais>
>
> I got it working with both an FCD and an RTL:
> ais_rx.py --rate 96e3 --gain 30 --error -17 -d -D fcd=0
> ais_rx.py --rate 1024e3 --gain 30 --error -110 -d -D rtl=0

Thanks for doing this. I haven't been looking at gr-ais lately as I've been
doing gr-air-modes development in anticipation of our DefCon talk. Now that
that's over, I'll have some time to integrate these changes and hopefully
modernize a few things in gr-ais which I've been putting off.

> Strangely passing freq_err=XX parameter to the source (using -D), doesn't
> work, the use of --error is thus needed (which will do a set_freq_corr()).
>
> Antoine, if you want sample file, just let me know.
>
> Nick, are you willing to integrate these changing back in gr-ais, Apart
> from the added automatic decimation filter, the changes are not intrusive
> at all.

Yep, I'll pull it back in. I'm also going to need your help vetting the
changes against the FCD, as I don't have one. I do have an RTL dongle I can
do some testing with. Have you had much success with AIS on RTL?

--n