USB driver / protocol strategy

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 7 20:45:10 UTC 2011

Hi all,

after some discussion with Dieter and Christian, the following strategy
has been selected for USB driver/protocol development:

0) Implement a composite USB Audio and CDC-ACM (serial) device to the
   OS, where USB audio is used for complex xamples in S16_LE format,
   and CDC-ACM is used for control of the device (tuning, etc.)

1) use USB audio with 1Ms/s, maybe even 2Ms/s for Linux.

2) offer the highest possible sample rate that windows supports as
   alternative sample rate in the descriptor (96 or 128 kHz)
   * implement a factor 10 decimation and low-pass inside the FPGA
     to avoid folding of the spectrum, as the E4000 has a minimum filter
     width of 1 MHz

3) implement a libusb-win32 (libusb-0.1) driver for windows for the
   higher baud rates.  To make sure this driver can bind to the device
   (and not the standard windows usb audi driver), we can implement a
   control command sent over the serial port, which causes the device to
   re-enumerate and no longer identify itself as a 'usb audio class'.

The next steps in the direction of the firmware will be:

* creating the dual sample rate USB audio descriptors and verify they
  are accepted by Linux and Windows (with dieters help)

* creating the descriptors for the composite device, validating them on
  Linux and Windows, as well as operation of the virtual serial port

* experiments with the NuttX port for sam3u (might be nice, but I doubt
  we will need it, given the single-purpose nature of the device)