osmocom Kernel GTPU module - Support for incoming DL packets for idle mode users in S-GW /SGSN

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Feb 18 11:58:16 UTC 2017

Hi Anoop,

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 12:03:37AM +0000, Anoop Singh Tomar wrote:
> Posting question related to capability to implement user plane (GTP
> tunnel) for S1-U and Iu-PS interface between S-GW & eNB and SGSN & RNC
> respectively via osmocom kernel GTP-U module.

The current kernel GTP-U module has been designed explicitly for the use
case of a GGSN/P-GW.  This was what the original requirement was, and
where Pablo and I received some funding from a customer to implement it.

The requirements for a SGSN/S-GW are completely different, and I don't
think the current module is any good match for this.  Please see the
discussion starting from
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=148611438811696&w=2 for the rationale
about this, specifically my post at
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=148638986910316&w=2

If you think otherwise, please let me know.  I'd be happy to undeerstand
why.

> At present it seems if TE-ID is not valid packet is dropped in kernel
> GTP-U module.

This is a bug/mis-feature that has been fixed already and the patch is
currently in net-next, waiting to be merged into the next linux kernel
merge window:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/drivers/net/gtp.c?id=1796a81de4fbd3a93290de61e443ea4153ad28d4

> Question - Is there any plan to support above in near-future in
> osmocom kernel GTP-U module or larger question would be to plan to
> enable  usage  of kernel GTP-U module in SGSN and SGW towards RAN ?

There are no such plans, at least not from Pablo and my side.  I don't
know about Andreas, but I think he is also primarily focussing on
various (more complex) P-GW use cases, rather than S-GW.  The module was
developed to fulfill certain requirements under a customer contract.
Neither Pablo or I currently have any customers who have above
requirement, so there's no related agenda.

I would love to work on the kernel GTP code, but I cannot afford to do
so in my limited spare time (which is already occupied by way too many
projects getting too little attention), sorry.

In general, I don't think the current GTP "tunnel endpoint" module fits
the S-GW/SGSN use case at all (see my linked post above).  The S-GW/SGSN
is not a node visible in Layer3 of the user-IP payload, it must not
terminate the user IP tunnel.  A completely different architecture
should be used for the SGSN/S-GW use case, where it is all about
forwarding encapsulated packets between MME and P-GW without
decapsulating the inner (user) IP layer.