Academic project based on OpenGGSN

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Tue Mar 22 15:12:52 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 04:00:14PM +0100, Manuel José Muñoz Calero wrote:
> I am evaluating these days the possibility to do something interesting
> which could be used as my project and also to put my bit for the OpenGGSN
> project.

Well, my opinion is that OpenGGSN has fairly bad code structuring. It has
heavy use of code duplication and the code layers aren't separated well
(e.g. I can't use libgtp to decode messages without also using its tx/rx).

So a proper audit and spring cleaning might be a nice project, if not
necessarily super exciting, at least it is well defined in that OpenGGSN
should not (or hardly) change behavior while making the code safer /
easier to maintain / more versatile to re-use. You could analyse the code
structures and/or security holes, academically argue why they are bad and
come up with improvements, while using and/or writing tests to ensure
correctness. If you know your stuff, all OpenGGSN users would arguably
benefit from that.

I'd like to do that if I had the time, but that will probably never be the
case. I'm too busy writing new bugs for 3G :P

That's just my sixpence -- good speed for your project, whichever you
chose! :)

~Neels