Running OpenGGSN with UmTRX(Osmobts-trx)

Ivan Kluchnikov Ivan.Kluchnikov at fairwaves.ru
Tue May 13 13:45:13 UTC 2014

Hi Joe,

If you use UmDESK, osmo-trx, osmo-bts, osmo-nitb and osmo-sgsn should
be already installed.
So you should use following manual:

=== Build & Install ===
[osmo-pcu]
git clone git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-pcu
cd osmo-pcu/
git checkout sysmocom/master
autoreconf -i
./configure --enable-sysmocom-bts
make
cd ..

[openggsn]
git clone git://git.osmocom.org/openggsn.git
cd openggsn/
autoreconf -i
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..

=== Configuration ===

[openggsn configuration]
Copy ggsn.conf to /etc directory

[sgsn configuration]
Copy osmo_sgsn.cfg to openbsc/openbsc/src/gprs directory

[Network configuration]
# We use eth0 interface for connection to the internet, if you use
other interface, you should edit fourth line.
sudo tunctl
sudo ifconfig tap0 127.0.0.2 up
sudo echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
sudo iptables -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.254.0/24 -t nat -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

[OpenBSC configuration]

Add this to the network/bts node in openbsc.cfg:

gprs mode gprs
gprs routing area 0
gprs cell bvci 2
gprs nsei 101
gprs nsvc 0 nsvci 101
gprs nsvc 0 local udp port 23030
gprs nsvc 0 remote udp port 23000
gprs nsvc 0 remote ip 127.0.0.1

Allocate some timeslots to packet data (recommend to use at least 4
timeslots for gprs).
For this, just change network/bts/trx/timeslot nodes using :

phys_chan_config PDCH

=== Start ===

1. ggsn
2. sgsn
3. pcu
4. osmo-nitb
5. osmo-bts
6. osmo-trx

> Hi All,
>
> I have installed OpenBSC +Osmo-BTS following Osmocom's netwrok from scratch
> link http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/network_from_scratch
> Now I would like to implemenet GPRS facility in the testbedusing OpenGGSN
> and Osmo-SGSN.
>
> I am using fairwaves UmDESK for this implementation.
>
> I followed the procedure as suggested in the
> http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OpenBSC_GPRS
> with the added modification as suggested in
> https://wush.net/trac/rangepublic/wiki/fairwaves.gprs
>
> But this doesn't seem to work out.
>
> Currently the systems execute properly with the following outputs
>
> GGSN Output:
>
> root at nist:/home/nist# ggsn
> cmdline_parser_configfile
> listen: 127.0.0.1
> conf: /etc/ggsn.conf
> fg: 1
> debug: 1
> qos: 0x0b921f
> apn: internet
> net: 192.168.0.0/24
> dynip: 192.168.0.0/24
> pidfile: /var/run/ggsn.pid
> statedir: /var/lib/ggsn/
> timelimit: 0
> gtpclient: Initialising GTP tunnel
> openggsn[3822]: GTP: gtp_newgsn() started
> Creating tun interface
> Setting tun IP address
>
> Osmo-SGSN Output:
> root at nist:/home/nist# osmo-sgsn -c
> OpenBSC_GPRS/openbsc/openbsc/src/gprs/osmo_sgsn.cfg
> <0010> gprs_ns.c:199 NSVCI=65534 Creating NS-VC
>
> Osmo-PCU Output:
> root at nist:/home/nist# osmo-pcu
> No config file: 'osmo-pcu.cfg' Using default config.
>
> With these I also ran:
> Osmo-NITB
> Osmobts-TRX
> Osmo-TRX
>
> All of these run normally as well.
> My UE is able to detect the network as well but not able to connect with it.
>
> Given below are the config file entries
>
> ggsn.conf:
> listen 127.0.0.1
>
> osmo-sgsn.cfg:
> gtp local-ip 127.0.0.2
> ggsn 0 remote-ip 127.0.0.1
>  encapsulation udp local-ip 127.0.0.2
>
> open-bsc.cfg:
>   gprs nsvc 0 remote udp port 23000
>   gprs nsvc 0 remote ip 127.0.0.2
>
> I had the following doubts regarding the given installation procedure
>
> 1. The fairwaves.gprs implementation using Chemeris's gprs-work seems to
> implement with Asterisk as PBX whereas I require it to run with the
> osmo-nitb.
>
> 2. The gprs-work branch still makes use of BTS transceiver and I wanted it
> to work with the Osmo-nitb implementation using osmobts-trx and osmo-trx
>
> Can somebody please help me out with this?
>
> Or is there any alternative implementation which can be tried to execute
> them together.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you,
>
> With Regards,
> Jijo