Osmo-BSC UL Power Loop

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Thu Sep 23 21:08:44 UTC 2021

Hi Keith,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:09:35AM -0500, Keith wrote:
> I am implementing uplink power control for the Ericsson RBS.

congratulations!

> I started with a vty command to force an ms power update on a timeslot
> and then I implemented a very crude loop and that "works".

excellent.

> Next, I imported power_control.c from osmo-bts into osmo-bsc. This is where I
> began to wonder if this code is better moved some place where it can be
> shared by both projects. - There would be some small modifications
> necessary, I think.

it would have to move to libosmogsm, if it can be shared without making it awkward
for either of the two programs to use that shared code (i.e. due to tight integration
with application-specific data structures).

> I also wonder if it is the right thing to do to integrate this bsc-side
> UL power control into the current (m|b)s-power control? Would it make
> sense to add a further "mode" there?
>
> ms-power-control
>   mode dyn-bsc
>
> For example?
>
> Obviously one does not want both a BSC and BTS managing a power loop. Or
> maybe only allow the BSC side power loop to run with bts-type that is
> known to not do UL power control?

What about hiding that from the user?  OsmoBSC should know if the BTS supports
power control or not.  If not, then the BSC transparently implements it, based
on the same set of parameters.

Basically, the location of the loop execution is an implementation detail to the user,
I guess the user doesn't care where it runs, just that it runs as configured.

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/