Osmo-BSC UL Power Loop

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Thu Sep 23 16:09:35 UTC 2021

Hi All,

I am implementing uplink power control for the Ericsson RBS.

I started with a vty command to force an ms power update on a timeslot
and then I implemented a very crude loop and that "works". Next, I
imported power_control.c from osmo-bts into osmo-bsc. This is where I
began to wonder if this code is better moved some place where it can be
shared by both projects. - There would be some small modifications
necessary, I think.

I also wonder if it is the right thing to do to integrate this bsc-side
UL power control into the current (m|b)s-power control? Would it make
sense to add a further "mode" there?

ms-power-control
  mode dyn-bsc

For example?

Obviously one does not want both a BSC and BTS managing a power loop. Or
maybe only allow the BSC side power loop to run with bts-type that is
known to not do UL power control?

There are some other issues I'm still unsure about, but this is enough
by way of moving towards a patch fit for code review.

Thanks!

Keith.