RFC: generic CTRL interface for VTY config settings

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Tue Feb 16 19:49:24 UTC 2021

Hi Keith,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:40:38PM -0600, Keith wrote:
> >   SET network.bts#0.trx#1.timeslot#0.training_sequence_code 3
>
> which sounds good to me, and I like the dot separator. and replacing
> space with #.

thanks.

> I don't think I have a lot of everyday use for modifying runtime
> configuration, although I have thought recently that maybe the best way
> to recover quickly from a power failure induced msc restart and loss of
> volatile VLR is to assign two LAC to each site and alternate them on
> restarts, forcing all the MS to LU as soon as the network is back up.
>
> I would probably do this by modifying a config file (with sed or such)
> before starting the daemons.

The point is to change runtime configuration (from external tools /
management) without restarting the respective program. Sure, if you
restart anyway, you can modify the config all you want.

However, You don't normally want to restart a BSC and loose all calls of
all BTSs (which can be many hundred concurrent calls) just because you
want to change e.g. the permitted ciphers, codec configuration, transmit
power reduction, ... of one specific cell.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/