Inexpensive Huawei GSM Picocells

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Feb 13 13:29:30 UTC 2021

Hi Domi,

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 01:44:23PM +0100, Tomcsanyi, Domonkos wrote:
> Interesting to hear about an LMT not being present, because all Huawei products I encountered provided a usable WebUI via a local ethernet port. Of course I must disclose these were a lot newer products, mainly supporting LTE and NR, sometimes UMTS. MML scripting is also present on those for quicker configuration.

those were also likely macro base stations, right?  Where you
a) expect no physical access to the general public,
b) have a dedicated Ethernet port for the "site LAN"

For femto / small cell products, you typically expect them to be in publicly
accessible locations, where virtually anyone can get physical access.  So the
vendors lock them down considerably more, with no "site lan", enforced use of
IPsec, etc.