Fwd: OpenAirInterface releases 5G core network code

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Sat Sep 26 09:26:14 UTC 2020

On 25/09/2020 12:38, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> Possibly interesting to note this OAI announcement.

Thanks. interesting indeed. a tl;dr. maybe? - "we have some cr*p we'd
like to push onto the world, and as you open source "community" people
are so gullible, here's a begging email to get you to help build it for
us (for free), or at least track your interest in our real operation -
data mining.

Why would one give any more time than what it takes to write this email
to this bunch of mostly white middle aged european men? + (the one token
woman - from Fujitsu)
https://www.openairinterface.org/?page_id=2304 (yes, that link will
track you too)

> Unfortunately none of the links are direct, but all of them are ugly tracking
> links.  Also ads for facetwoogle. So I had to blank out a lot. Also interesting
> to note how they don't self-host, but rather spread their code across *both*
> hosted-gitlab and github.
Thanks for the redaction. Hey, but... isn't it of far more importance to
dedicate our time and resources to developing extractive unjust
eco-unfriendly technology with almost limitless potential for abusive
usage, than fiddling around with silly decentralised things like self
hosting.
> Also interesting how the From: address is a gmail one
> vs. the contact at openairinterface.org further below. In a massive herd effort,
> folks are fudging up the internet, no news there at least.

Interesting. I might have expected the domain to point at gmail then,
but openairinterface.org actually announces an MX of the same name in
AS12876 - "ONLINE_NET_DEDICATED_SERVERS_NL"

Still, there are many popular way to have your email end up on google's
servers. (Like writing to this email list for example.)

IMHO, the "internet" was pretty well fudged up since last century, it's
just that we are only starting to really notice now. There is so much to
be done to build a less dangerous inter-network, that the last thing I
will be doing is touching anything that even smells vaguely of 5G.

Sorry for the rant on this list, but well it is Saturday and there's a
pandemic on, a migration crisis and looming climate disasters, which
shouldn't overshadow the fact that some many people have been sick and
starving for decades anyway. but hey - let's build a whole bunch of
unneeded technology and use words like community, alliance,
democratising and last but not least, least abuse the sh*t once again
out of the word "open".

:-(