Google Summer of Code 2019

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Mar 12 20:26:00 UTC 2019

Hi Max,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:24:15PM +0100, Max wrote:
> Don't give up just yet though - there's another opportunity on the horizon:
> https://opensource.googleblog.com/2019/03/introducing-season-of-docs.html
>
> In short, Google's SoD will pay for people writing documentation for FOSS
> projects the same way GSoC pays for writing code.
>
> And documentation is something we can always get improved.
>
> What do you think? ;-)

I think its great.  I don't have high hopes that we'd qualify, as it's a bit
of a too niche topic compared to many other projects out there.

However, also keep in mind that the technical writer (if any) will arrive with
no knowledge about Osmocom in the first place, and will likely require tons of
input from us.

I actually think those manuals that we had created about two yearas ago
are half-way-decent, particularly if you know where we're coming from.
The big problem is that there's

1) a lack of updating manuals as we move the code along.  We should pay
   attention in our code reviews that any user-visible code changes such
   as particularly VTY changes should always come with changes to the
   manuals at the same time.  I think that the manuals where more
   fitting the implementation 2 years ago than they are now.  This is
   the responsibility of the developers introducing changes.  No amount
   of external technical writers can change that.

2) still a number of osmocom CNI projects that don't have a user manual
   at all.  Contributions always welcome.  However, again that's nothing
   a technical writer can do by himself unless he has deep knowledge of
   at least 3GPP architectures and protocols...