CBCH support for osmo-bts-trx

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Sep 17 09:30:21 UTC 2018

Hi Lorenzo,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:41:16AM +0200, Lorenzo Cavallini wrote:
> yes I have some updates. I tested with two different timeslot
> configurations: CCCH+SDCCH4+CBCH on ts0 and SDCCH8+CBCH on ts1.

> In both cases I'm using an iPhone8 to test.

iPhones are generally known to have (together with at leats older Blackberries) the most
"critical" protocol stacks out there, i.e. they will bail out the first time they see any
single bit that is not like they expect it.

So in general, it might be worth to also test with other phones and compare.

> With the first ts configuration, the iphone could not perform the
> location update procedure, so basically I had no connectivity to the
> basestation.

the qeustion is which particular commit you were using at the time.

There is one fix that might be related to this:

commit 526b4a5f350725d312c6739cf6abdcef040b698c
Author: Neels Hofmeyr <neels at hofmeyr.de>
Date:   Tue Sep 11 00:47:29 2018 +0200

    ts,lchan_fsm: do not attempt to allocate CBCH subslots

Also, please noe that as per GSM spec, if you use the CBCH on SDCCH/4,
you *must* advertise BS_AG_BLKS_RES >= 1 to achieve a valid
configuration.

> Let me know if this helps and what kind of debug I can provide you, as you
> may guess getting debug out of mainstream smartphones is not really easy,
> so what I can do is limited on that side.

I think particularly the big trouble in the SDCCH/4 case should be
possible to debug with traces only from the network side.  If you can
provide pcap files with
* GSMTAP (containing at least BCCH,CCCH,SDCCH,CBCH SAPI)
* Abis OML and RSL (tcp port 3003 + 3002)
during the time where you tried to register the phone unsuccessfully, it
would help.  Also, please double-check if the commit above by Neels
makes a difference.

I'll also try to reproduce this here today using a LimeSDR-USB and
current osmo-bts / osmo-bsc master and a couple of phones.