radisys / NRW_NOA PCU (was Re: Osmo-pcu error..)

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Fri Sep 14 19:30:51 UTC 2018

I want to add that I asked Rafael to take a quick look at the
performance of the Nuran supplied osmo-pcu on the LC 1.5, given that he
has one to hand and I don't. :)

This is partly in relation to this ticket:

http://osmocom.org/issues/2603
titled "Review the various incomplete and never merged changes in
radisys branch"

Having taken a look at those branches, I noted that the most recent
commit there (in the egprs_features branch) is quite old, from December
2016, and that this same commit appears in the nuran open access lc15
branch
https://gitlab.com/nrw_noa/osmo-pcu/commit/f9bc46bf13028cc21763e56a0be41d85eab1c1f1
although this particular commit is not is osmo master branch.

Si, it seems some of the radisys work made it back into osmo master (via
nrw_noa) at some point, but then the two diverged again.

I did ask Nuran about this last year and I was told the "there's not
always time/resources to pursue code review" answer.

There is currently quite a large set of differences between
https://gitlab.com/nrw_noa/osmo-pcu/commits/nrw/litecell15 and osmo
master. A small amount of it is LC15 specific, but most is not.

As Rafaels feedback about the quick functionality test of EGPRS was
good, I want to take a closer look at this.

My prime motivation is the somewhat broken unknown TA handling in
current osmo-pcu master that Max worked on: http://osmocom.org/issues/1526

It seems from a few quick glances that a lot of what is in the radisys
branches is in the noa repo and also in osmo-pcu master.

I wonder if it's worth assuming that anything useful there made it's way
into the noa branch and it would be better to work from there?

I'd appreciate some guidance on how to go about that. If I find things
that look useful, cherry pick them into osmo master and test and all
looks good, should I propose them verbatim on gerrit for review?

Should I keep the orginal commit messages and author, even if I were to
make small changes, in the case i should spot something that I know
would help with passing code review?

Thanks!

K.