LimeSDR-USB experience with New Splits Solved!

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:48:01 UTC 2018

Vadim wrote:

> Actually, they do. You can even find some videos on YouTube,
> where an original Motorola phone runing FreeCalypso firmware
> was tested with Osmocom based network (most likely, CalypsoBTS).

Videos on YouTube?  Are you referring to the ones from 2015 or so with
Russian titles?  Those are the only ones I am aware of - how do you
know that phone was running against an Osmocom network as opposed to
the regular commercial GSM operator in Russia or wherever those videos
were made?

> Maybe I am missing something, but how is this related to
> the original topic?

The relation is simple: if phones like Mot C1xx running Motorola's
original factory fw don't work with Osmocom networks, then there is a
high chance that Osmocom GSM networks may be similarly incompatible
with the newer FreeCalypso MS implementation, given the genealogical
proximity between the two.  If Osmocom networks work fine when serving
ultra-locked-down Qualcomm and MTK phones but don't work with the
world's only published-source GSM MS implementation that is also
feature-complete, it would be absolutely terrible news for Freedom-
minded folks, hence me raising the concern here in this thread.

I was simply asking if *anyone* (doesn't matter who) has ever actually
tested the combination of Osmocom on the network side + FreeCalypso on
the mobile side.  Because of the scarcity of the needed hardware (only
a handful of FCDEV3B boards have been made and sent out to people), I
asked if Sysmocom could do this test on one of their FCDEV3B boards
because they are the only FCDEV3B owner to my knowledge who are also
involved in network-side work: all other FCDEV3B owners in the world
are just like me, testing against pre-existing major commercial GSM
operators (and in my case also against the CMU200) without any BTS of
our own.  And I hope to rectify this situation when I have more boards
by giving some away free of cost, and hopefully getting at least one
board into the hands of someone who regularly plays with current
Osmocom network-side sw on their own BTS.

M~