LimeSDR-USB experience with New Splits Solved!

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:53:22 UTC 2018

Sandi Suhendro <djks74 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Voice is working actually since back then, my fault is using only
> C117/118 for test call all the time.
> Now I just test using newer phone both Caller and Callee and voice is
> work perfectly!
> [...]
> There is trace in wireshark when using old phone as C117/118, the BTS
> always freeze and send Measurement Indication all the time when calling
> is made and answered, but with newer phone, the Indication is normal.

In your tests with C117/118 phones that produced failing results, were
those phones running OsmocomBB or Motorola's original firmware?  If
Motorola phones running their original firmware (which presumably had
passed official certification and type approval tests back in the day)
don't work with Osmocom networks (be it LimeSDR or other Osmocom-
compatible BTS hardware, SDR-based or otherwise) but "newer" (meaning
more proprietary and more thoroughly locked down) phones do work, then
it is a very grave problem from the perspective of Freedom, and needs
to be taken very seriously.

Sysmocom has two of my FreeCalypso development boards, only one of
which has been calibrated with a CMU200 instrument and fc-rfcal-tools
before leaving my shop - the other board did not receive calibration
because Harald claimed it early in the bring-up process, before I had
climbed the calibration learning curve and developed my calibration
programs.  Looking at the photo in issue #2704:

https://osmocom.org/issues/2704

The board you've got set up there is the one that did get properly
calibrated before being sold to Sysmocom.  Like all boards from that
batch, it was shipped with an official FreeCalypso firmware image in
its flash - based on the date it was shipped, it was probably the
20170831 build.  Do you still have that firmware image in the flash,
or have you erased it?  Where is the RF from that board connected to -
does it go to a sysmoBTS unit?  Would it be possible for someone from
Sysmocom (or someone from the community who have been set up with
remote access to that board) to test and see if the FCDEV3B can
successfully connect to Osmocom network using the official FreeCalypso
firmware on the board, driven via AT commands?

If Sysmocom folks are philosophically against doing any tests with
FreeCalypso firmware, would someone else in the community be more
willing?  I am hoping to have the next batch of my boards (which will
also be at hardware revision V2) made in the next few months (more
precisely, as soon as I can afford the ~3kUSD cost of the new PCB fab
run for V2), and when I get those boards made, I plan on giving away a
limited number of them on a subsidized basis, free of cost to the
recipient.  If anyone here is interested in pairing the source-enabled
(source freely published for all to see and to tinker with) network
side GSM implementation from Osmocom with the equally source-enabled
mobile side implementation from FreeCalypso (which is much more robust
and feature-complete than OsmocomBB), you may very well be eligible to
receive a subsidized FCDEV3B V2 board when they become available.

Warm regards,
Mychaela Falconia,
Mother of FreeCalypso

P.S. Regarding Sysmocom's other FCDEV3B board which you got before it
was calibrated, if you have a CMU200 instrument which is itself in good
calibration standing, you can calibrate the board yourself.  The needed
software is here:

https://bitbucket.org/falconian/fc-rfcal-tools

Given your level of expertise with GSM RF, I trust that you should
have absolutely no difficulty with figuring out how to use my
calibration sw if you have the needed RF test equipment.