logging level all everything

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Sep 11 03:41:38 UTC 2018

Hi Neels,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:26:46PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:

> So, I want to make 'logging level all' manipulate each individual category
> once-off, I want to completely deprecate the 'everything' keyword, and drop the
> "global clamp" feature entirely.
>
> Maybe I'd re-add the clamp as 'logging level force-all (debug|...|fatal)' and
> 'no logging level force-all' to switch it off. That would be exactly the old
> clamping feature just with less confusing names.
>

> The only thing that makes me write here is that I'm only 90% sure on changing
> the meaning of an existing command, of 'logging level all'. If there is no
> negative feedback on this here, that would bring me to 100%.

In terms of semantics, old notes/documentation, etc. I would suggest to simply
deprecate "all" and introduce a new command instead.  If the global clamping
is removed, then "logging level all debug" could simply become a no-op, so if people
type it in because they are used to it, or have it in some old configs, no
harm is done.  And if they use "logging level all notice" then they should get
a non-fatal warning/notice message that this command is no longer supported.

So in short: I suggest to not overload existing keywords, but introducing new ones
with well-defined/documented meaning.