OC-2G merge to osmo-bts

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Oct 29 20:46:37 UTC 2018

Hi Shingy,

this question is a bit off-topic here, but...

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 08:56:45AM +0200, Shingirai Simba wrote:
> Does anyone know a good place to get OC-2G hardware manufactured.

At this point, to the best of my knowledge, OC-2G yet has to deliver on their
open hardware promise.  The design files like schematics / PCB layouts / mechanical
drawings / BOM, etc. are yet to be published.  I could only find those of OC-SDR and
OC-LTE on the OpenCellular git repository so far.

I did inquire with the OpenCellular working group chair (Kashif) and asked
for those files to be released.

Without those files, it's hard to guess who could be a good match to manufacture
the related units.  The details of the design determine the complexity and therefore
the required capabilities for any contract manufacturer.

In any case, even with [hopefully] all the related files released as OSHW, there's
the equally important question of validation, production testing, calibration, etc.
which needs to be implemented and executed.

Which brings me to the question of: How many units do you need?  I think unless
you have at least a binding quantity of several hundred and a realistic forecast to
thousands of units, there's very little point in wasting time thinking about
setting up any alternative / custom manufacturing, rather than to buy
from the original supplier/vendor (NuRAN).