Location Updating failure due to Speech Codec

Philipp Maier pmaier at sysmocom.de
Tue Oct 16 12:38:18 UTC 2018

Hello Neels,

See 3GPP_TS_48.008, 3.2.1.32 COMPLETE LAYER 3 INFORMATION :
Note 4: "Codec List (BSS Supported) shall be included, if the radio
access network supports an IP based user plane interface."

See also: 3GPP_TS_48.008, 3.2.2.103 Speech Codec List "The length
indicator (octet 2) is a binary number indicating the absolute length of
the contents after the length indicator. The length depends on the
number and type of Speech Codec Elements to be included. The minimum
length of one Speech Codec Element is 1 octet and the maximum length is
3 octets. The maximum number of Speech Codec Elements within the Speech
Codec List is not defined."

I think there is no way in leaving the Codec List (BSS Supported) away.
The spec is clear on this. I think the reason is because to decide one
would have to look into the detap messages and check if the request is
about a call or an LU, or an SMS etc.

I am not sure with 3GPP_TS_48.008, 3.2.2.103, the minimum length
requirement refers to one item only. So having 0 items in the speech
codec list is an allowed situation? If yes, that wold be the correct
solution. Including the speech codec list, but with 0 elements. I can
make a patch for libosmocore for this. It wouln't take long.

Regarding the warning I don't think that start abortion is a good idea.
This could lock out users that want to configure via telnet.

Best regards,
Philipp

--
Philipp Maier <pmaier at sysmocom.de>              http://www.sysmocom.de/