Persistent VTY history?

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Wed Oct 10 16:35:50 UTC 2018

On 09/10/18 16:50, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 01:46:53PM +0100, Keith wrote:
>>
>> I tried rlwrap (the readline wrapper) with telnet, and of course it
>> works, in that you get full readline support with saved history in your
>> telnet session, on the client/user side) but you lose the [TAB] and [?]
>> command completion of the vty.
> All that needs to happen is that the tab and ? are sent to the telnet
> immediately, without waiting for the newline. Then it would reply with the
> completion / online doc output.

The rlwrap plugin calls a function when TAB is pressed,
completion_handler() and from there you can send what you will to the
other side, and fill an array with completion words, that will be
displayed and can be used for completion (and therefore sent with [CR])

https://github.com/hanslub42/rlwrap/wiki/RlwrapFilter.pm-manpage

I think it can be done, but you need to get the parsing of the vty
output response to [TAB] right, and you need to avoid sending a
[CR] along with the [TAB] or [?], which might require a patch to rlwrap.