IuUP, aka voice between 2G and 3G

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Oct 10 11:18:39 UTC 2018

[private hacking hat on]

Thinking ahead to the 35C3, I have tinkered with IuUP a bit.

I'm at the point where I have an IuUP core net node in the osmo-mgw, which
auto-detects IuUP peers and removes IuUP headers coming from a 3G RNC, and
inserts IuUP headers in RTP going to a 3G RNC. So far we were merely hacking
over the IuUP header to mimick an Initialization ACK, and were otherwise just
handing the IuUP headers through from one 3G peer to the other. I realized now
that hacking up an Initialization ACK like we currently do on osmo-mgw master
produces a header CRC error, which the femto cells we currently tested
completely don't care about, thankfully.

Ok, so now I am de/encapsulating the IuUP from/to RTP, so that IuUP is present
only on the last leg to/from an RNC. 3G to 3G calls still work well with that,
now also having correct IuUP header CRCs.

And, the naive idea was that now the 2G would simply understand the RTP from
the 3G and vice versa. But that's not the case, apparently. The phones at best
crackle some random artifacts.

I picked a codec-list of fr3 hr3 in osmo-bsc, and tried a few AMR rates (12.2k,
5.9k, 5.2k).

So I think there's still some fundamental concept that I'm lacking. Is there
anyone more familiar with AMR and/or the way 3G encodes audio, and whether
there's a simple way to make them match? Where should I read on?

Would a call router like we use in the C3 POC be able to transcode when the
IuUP is stripped? (I'm not even sure what the POC side is doing to connect SIP
with GSM.)

I've noticed the laforge/iu_up branch in libosmocore only later, which includes
an FSM that apparently does only state transitions so far. My patch has no FSM
yet, since all I see on the wire is Init->InitAck, then Data PDUs, and maybe an
occasional error report. Do those FSM states convey a secret of making 3G
encoding readable by 2G?

Various pcaps of the status quo are here:
http://kleinekatze.de/eeD0ouCo/

My IuUP branch: osmo-mgw neels/iuup
http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-mgw/log/?h=neels/iuup
IuUP protocol spec: 3GPP TS 25.415 (I've so far ignored most of it)

~N