Persistent VTY history?

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Sat Oct 6 10:52:07 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 11:33:01AM +0100, Keith wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Was just thinking today about if it was ever considered to write the VTY
> history out to a file on exiting (and load it on startup)
>
> I'm quite the fan of the up arrow and it's been something that sometimes
> annoys that I have no history after leaving the VTY.
>
> It would seem reasonably trivial to implement, and I suppose you could
> write out to files in $HOME/.osmo-bsc_history or $HOME/.config or somesuch.
>
> Just wondering if this was ever discussed before, if there's any
> unforseen problem with it on my part + if it would be a desirable
> feature for anybody else?
>
> k/

I like the idea. I have also missed this feature at times.

It should probably be opt-in because creating ever-growing files
by default is a bit unfriendly to embedded platforms. Also, some
commands accept crypto secrets in parameters, and people will not
expect those to be saved by default under $HOME where any program
could easily read them.

I don't see any other potential issues.