voting in gerrit: merge at +3? (+2+1 / +1+1+1)

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Nov 14 19:44:59 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 04:16:49PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> A transition to "everyone has +2" would be a far more drastic change
> than what I was proposing. I believe this would result in less code
> review being done than is being done today.

In general, the fact that you can do +2 doesn't mean that you're allowed to do
it. The normal case would be: the third reviewer coming along sees that there
are already two +1s and then is allowed to vote a +2, by convention / trust.

I would like to adopt the +3 scheme, only I think we don't necessarily need IU
enforcement of it by an obscure plugin, because we can agree on it between us
humans. Whenever someone disregards "+3", that is a potential offense.

I could trivially enable +2 within minutes right now.  No prolog required, only
communication.  If that doesn't work out, we can still go for the plugin or
revert +2 abilities. What do you think?

~N