3G data connection loss

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Nov 14 13:05:44 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 02:11:02PM +0900, Pierre Kim wrote:
> The phone works fine and successfully creates a PDP context, but data
> only works for a few minutes before it stops.

If you go to flight mode and back, does data continue?
If you wait two minutes and try again, does it work again?

I have often seen odd data unreliabilities on 3G, AFAIK it's still an issue
which hasn't been resolved yet. I think at some point we had (or still have) an
error in a flag indicating whether we're re-using an auth key or using a new
one, not sure if that's resolved yet. If it's not that, it should be some
obscure protocol corner case that we need to find and fix, once identified it
should be quick to solve. The issue I created back in the days was
https://osmocom.org/issues/1977 -- not sure if it applies to your situation.
That report is notoriously under-informative... Apologies for my past self.  It
would be excellent if someone familiar with the inner workings of the SGSN
could investigate and pinpoint what is going wrong sporadically on 3G.

Also recently there was
http://lists.osmocom.org/pipermail/openbsc/2018-November/012362.html
Oh wait, that was you, as well!

BTW, technically the right ML for PS issues would be osmocom-net-gprs (but I
personally don't mind it being discussed here).

~N