handover request

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Nov 9 00:07:33 UTC 2018

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 05:50:15PM +0100, Max wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've noticed that we don't have any code (besides basic definition) for
> handover request message (BSS_MAP_MSG_HANDOVER_RQST) from 48.008 3.2.1.8 in
> libosmocore or osmo-*sc.
>
> Is it because it's in some patch hanging somewhere in gerrit or we don't
> need it (yet)?

We have a BSSMAP Handover *Required*, which is what osmo-bsc sends to the MSC
to initiate inter-BSC handover.

The MSC then composes the Handover Request message sent to the new BSC, and
since osmo-msc doesn't support inter-BSC ho yet (I will soon implement it), we
indeed have no encoding or use of that message in Osmocom yet.

See https://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Telecom/GSM_Handover_Call_Flow.pdf

When testing osmo-bsc, I relied on a third-party MSC to send this message.
Also ttcn3-bsc-tests encode it when emulating the MSC part of inter-BSC
handover, but that's from ttcn3, not from libosmocore.

I'm curious, why would you need this message? You're not writing the MSC part
of inter-BSC HO, are you?

~N