New (but unofficial) asn1c has been applied to osmo-iuh

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Mar 29 15:07:48 UTC 2018

Hi Chiu Bi-Ruei,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 06:58:53PM +0800, Chiu Bi-Ruei wrote:
> I have just uploaded my modified osmo-iuh, which a new  version asn1c is
> applied, to :
>
> https://github.com/brchiu/osmo-iuh/tree/new-asn1c

thanks a lot for all of your work on asn1c.  I've been following it from
the distance, and I'm happy to see IOC + APER is finfally being worked on.

> Because Lev Walkin has not accepted corresponding pull requests yet, it
> should be built from Velchkov's repository :

Thanks.  What is missing to get this merged/included?  Is there now a
testsuite for APER, similar to UPER?

> Because I do not have test environment nor have no time to verify this
> porting, you are welcomed to use this result on your own.

The bigger effort is unfortunately not removing asn1tostruct.py from the
osmo-iuh repository, but it is porting over all the existing code in
not only osmo-iuh.git, but also osmo-msc.git and osmo-sgsn.git.  The layout
and naming of the C struct's has changed, and all needs to be adjusted
accordingly.  It's also likely that some of the allocation/memory-ownership
patterns have changed and also need to be adjusted.

It would be great if somebody had an interest in working on this.  I personally
am way too overloaded already to do this, sorry.

Unrelated to the above:  If you are interested in getting a femtocell compatible
with osmo-iuh so you can build an Osmocom 3G network for testing: I'm happy to
give away the related hardware for free.  We've done that in the past for other
people in the community working on the Osmocom 3G stack, see the "accelerate 3G5"
project on the osmocom wiki.