Reflashing ip.access nano3G

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Jul 25 16:45:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 05:08:35PM +0200, Ernesto Sanchez wrote:
> Hi Neels, a lot of thanks, I think that is not a good idea work in an open
> proyect with proprietary hardware, and proprietary firmware... The result
> is: I don't own my hardware, I paid for hardware that I can not use, I can
> understand pay a fee for the "new" license but no more than this.

Sorry, but preaching Open Source to Osmocom is quite misplaced. Small companies
across the world have made considerable investment in effort and money to get
3G support into the Open, and besides sysmocom offering the much more expensive
SysmoCell5000 series, it's a major highlight that the much cheaper nano3G was
also made to work with Osmocom, specifically to allow remotely affordable Open
Source 3G hacking. Sysmocom also gave away quite a few of them for free during
the Accelerate3G5 project. I see it as a major achievement to whip all of this
up while being a (small) company that is still able to pay wages and taxes. So
please, hold your horses there, seriously.

One key item that is not in Open Source yet is the RNC. If we then add an SDR
implementation for a UMTS transceiver, we could do completely without
proprietarily licensed hardware.

Open Source lives by contribution, so you are more than welcome to bring in
your part and implement these (or fund someone to do so).

Feel free to browse http://sysmocom.de and/or enquire at sales at sysmocom.de
about 3G hardware to go with Osmocom. I'm a developer, not familiar with the
sales details. Or maybe you can persuade ip.access to hand out Free firmware?

~N

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93