RFC: making libosmo-mgcp a non-installed static library

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Feb 5 13:29:43 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I recently proposed the patch https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/c/6270/
and I would like to get some input from a wider audience.

Basically, it turns libosmo-mgcp (the mgw/server side MGCP lib) into an
internal library similar to 'libmsc' in osmo-msc, which we don't expect
to be used by other programs except osmo-mgw.  Hence, there's no need to
install it as a shared library, which introduces requirements about
ABI/API stability and the like.

osmo-bsc_nat uses libosmo-legacy-mgcp, and once we should rewrite
osmo-bsc_nat, we might need some of the libosmo-mgcp related functions,
but at this point it's unclear what exactly would be needed and if
current libosmo-mgcp can provide that.  As needed, we can introduce
a related shared library at that point.

Do you guys agree with this move, or do you think there is a point in
having a public shared library with preferably stable API for the MGW
side of MGCP?  I think it just constrains us as to what we can do in
terms of code changes within the MGW - for no clear benefit.