Packiging: Install config files? Examples only?

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Oct 30 17:44:03 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:02:06PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> while working on the "osmocom:latest" builds the last few days, I noticed
> that some packages (notably osmo-pcu) install a config file to /etc/osmocom,
> while most other packages simply install some example config files to
> /usr/share/doc/* and don't create either /etc/osmocom nor any config files
> in it - despite the systemd jobs depending on it.
>
> For sure, the behavior should be unified across all Osmocom packages, but
> in which way?

The OE builds generally install in /etc/osmocom. We should also keep the
/usr/share/doc/* ones, because some programs install several alternative
configs. But probably the debian should also install one default version to
/etc/osmocom. I guess they should even be the minimal versions as from Osmocom
Network In The Box, and enriched with commented-out sections for common
additions.

So much documenting to do!

And I haven't yet fully verified the Osmocom Network In The Box configs, I
might add default/minimal config files to the various repositories while I
verify those. (One of the highest items on my current todo list.)

~N