Packiging: Install config files? Examples only?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Oct 29 11:02:06 UTC 2017

Dear Community,

while working on the "osmocom:latest" builds the last few days, I noticed
that some packages (notably osmo-pcu) install a config file to /etc/osmocom,
while most other packages simply install some example config files to
/usr/share/doc/* and don't create either /etc/osmocom nor any config files
in it - despite the systemd jobs depending on it.

For sure, the behavior should be unified across all Osmocom packages, but
in which way?

What is the best practise here?  What do our users expect?

Let's have a discussion here and note the conclusion in
https://osmocom.org/issues/2602 before implementing it.