.deb updates in Debian/Ubuntu repos

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Tue Oct 24 12:19:54 UTC 2017

Hi.

There's another question related to .deb packaging which emerged recently: how do we
update libraries properly?

Let's take concrete example - libosmo-netif, current version is 0.0.7; libversion is
3:0:0

I'd like to release new version: 0.0.8, libversion is 4:0:1

What do I do with debian/?

The library package named libosmonetif3.install
According to https://wiki.debian.org/TransitionBestPractices it should be renamed to
libosmonetif4.install because we're changing "current" component of libversion.

We should also change debian/control to reflect this rename, but what about
"Conflicts:" in there?
I've tried reading
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.package-meta-information.html but
still not sure how it should be applied in case of shared libraries.

Shall we put libosmonetif3 in Conflicts? Both libosmonetif3 and libosmonetif2?
Shall we use /Replaces instead? If so, for which version(s)?

Also, am I even reading this in the right place or there're some better docs
recommended for Debian library packaging?
/

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93