Planning for OsmoCon + OsmoDevCon

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Oct 15 16:18:44 UTC 2017

Hi Keith,

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 10:48:49AM -0500, Keith wrote:
> Yes, certainly for OsmoDevCon, Seville would mean travel and
> expense for most.
>  But how about the OsmoCon (assuming the decision was not to
> have them back-to-back)?

Possible, but I'm not sure if Pablo was volunteering for a significantly
larger event: OsmoCon was 60 people this year, so I would expect it to
be at least that same size next year.

> I imagine that would mean a LOT more logistics work there,
> maybe too much, like bringing CCC VOC for example.

Indeed.

> > In terms of frequency,  I would actually suggest we move to a 6-month
> > cycle rather than a 12-month cycle.
>
> Are you suggesting here to as an alternative to the
> back-to-back  OsmoCon and OsmoDevCon,
> to separate them with a six month interval? Or just to have
> an OsmoCon every six months?

I'm open to all suggestions.  But indeed, for OsmoDevCon I think a 6
month cycle would be great - maybe at the very least for people involvd
in those projects with lots of development activity, such as currently
Osmo{BTS,PCU,BSC,MSC,MGW,STP,GGSN,HLR}.

For OsmoCon: Annual schedule is probably sufficient.  Nevetheless,
there's a lot of user-visible changes happening with the NITB-split, so
this year it would actually have made sense to do some updates.

But as (I believe) Neels suggested, we could always propose something
like a workshop / tutorial and see if people are interested in that.
Such tutorials could actually also be a "webcast" or the like, without
physcial attendance.  This would remove the burden of travel and the
venue organization bits on our side.