prng change feedback

ringsignature at riseup.net ringsignature at riseup.net
Fri Oct 6 06:16:45 UTC 2017

Hello,

On 2017-10-06 01:03, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi RS,
>
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 12:40:11PM +0000, ringsignature at riseup.net wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think getrandom() is a better default and in fact, the only safe
>> interface. I suggest failing the build absent a getrandom() system
>> call/glibc interface. Additionally, it would be good to ensure that any
>> system running OpenBSC has some source of entropy beyond interrupts and
>> timing - is that already the case?
>
> We of course have no idea on what systems people are using the related
> osmocom components on (such as OsmoNITB, OsmoMSC, OsmoSGSN).  For some
> of the smaller / deeper embedded devices (like e.g. the sysmoBTS 1002)
> for sure there is no hardware random number generator and interrupts are
> the only source of randomness.

Might those devices be interesting as a research target for generating
entropy from a radio interface? The specification suggests that the
device does indeed have a radio interface. If so, perhaps it would be a
useful experiment for someone to attempt to create an OsmoEntropy
subproject? I would be interested in undertaking such a project, if it
would be useful and especially if it would be used.

> However, in most realistic scenarios you would have more than one BTS
> and run the NITB/MSC/SGSN on some kind of (embedded?) x86 or ARM board,
> and most systems have had hardware random number generators for quite a
> long time.  Yes, the question is whether you trust those, but that's
> completely off-topic here in this thread.

Understood.

Happy Hacking,
RS